Musical MIDI Accompaniment
The most current version of MMA is 21.09.3.
The main MMA archive is really all you need. It includes:
- mma - the executable python script,
- modules - the various python modules needed to run MMA,
- lib - a set of standard library files which contain well over 1000 MMA patterns for different rhythms,
- egs - a few simple demo songs and more complicated examples,
- docs/html - the entire set of documentation files in HTML format.
After downloading this file you need to unpack it (the directory “mma-bin-VERSION” will be automatically created). The magical incantation:
tar xzf mma-bin-*.tar.gzshould work just fine. Then run the one of the install scripts (either ln-install or cp-install). Read the file text/INSTALL for details, but we recommend using ln-install.
This will create the needed system directories and install the Python modules and the standard MMA library. The script has been designed for Linux ... follow these instructions for Windows and if you install this on a different OS, please let us know just what problems you had and your solutions.
This is a Unix/Linux tar.gz file.
|Download (3.3MEG): mma-bin-21.09.tar.gz|
|SHA1 checksum: 0d7a2a46b5807351dd14f62ef119516ca0b09f43|
To make installs easier for people with Linux systems we have created a deb package. This package includes the basic MMA distribution, plus the PDF documentation. You can get it here, or check your own Linux distribution's software for an official Debian package.
The packages will be installed in the /usr (not /local) directory structure.
MMA's only dependency is Python 2.7 greater (or any 3.x version), so there should be no dep problems with these packages. Please let us know if there are any problems.
Use your favorite debian package manager (from a command line you can do something like: sudo dpkg -i mma*deb).
We're not “real” Debian package makers ... so, shout if you find a problem ... better, mildly shout if it works as advertised!
|Download (4.3MEG): mma_21.09_all.deb|
|SHA1 checksum: 8d2ef45fd5f919eed09d0d2e111aecbda1c5b099|
The documentation for MMA consists of 4 PDF files:
- mma.pdf - a 298 page printable manual.
- mma-tut.pdf - a short (21 page) tutorial.
- mma-lib.pdf - reference to the standard mma library.
- mma-plugins.pdf - an “in-progress” document for writers and users of the MMA plugin feature.
The HTML docs supplied with the main distribution are extracted from the PDF files. You should have both sets if for no other reason that the PDF files look much nicer.
This is a Unix/Linux tar.gz file.
|Download (2.1MEG): mma-pdf-21.09.tar.gz|
|SHA1 checksum: 6e737009ae65ff440e08834052e9d637da6c30e4|
In addition to the main reference manuals we have prepared an auxiliary PDF document listing in both text and standard music notation all the chords (98 main, plus 62 aliases) and scales supported in MMA.
|Download (113K): chords.pdf|
|SHA1 checksum: 1f1e3453a1068e358648da298c9d4687e3b8fe26|
If you are brave, you might want to try the very newest!
This package has everything in it that the “official” distribution contains. However, the pdf documentation, above, doesn't reflect changes ... the download comes with html docs which should document all the changes.
Install note: if you have an existing install using the .deb or .rpm package you should probably delete/remove it first to avoid confusion. The .deb/.rpm install in the /usr/ directory and the manual install for the developer versions use /usr/local.
Features (please read the file text/CHANGES-** for complete details):
- Fixed the docs for the COPY and COPYTO commands. There never was a COPYTO command! TO and FROM are extensions to the COPY command. Opps.
- Added system variable $_PWD. This returns the current working directory just like the unix pwd command.
- An empty argument for DRUM TONE resulted in a infinite loop. Fixed.
- Added a bit of verbosity to the error message generated when defining a TONE or VOICE by a message if you have confused constants for the two.
- Added a ERROR command. Text after the error is displayed and compilation stops.
- Changed the parser so that when setting the scale offset to use with bass patterns - and/or + can be placed before the digit(s) as well as after.
- The options chord voicing options drop23 and drop23key had been commented out in 21.09 and 21.09.1.
- Fixed errors in the documentation build.
- RPITCH: Fixed some minor coding errors; added the BEATS option (very useful!).
|Download (3.3MEG): mma-devl.21.09.3.tar.gz|
|SHA1 checksum: 4c1017f7d2b00d3a6d80abc82c2544a5b5c43b5b|