Links for the Akai EWI 4000s
I've recently purchased a Akai Professional EWI 4000s wind controller. Before we get too much further, a few points:
- This is not, an electronic saxophone. Or an electronic clarinet. Etc. It's a complex musical instrument capable of generating beautiful sounds and music.
- You will not be able to play this with just a few hours of practice. Just like any other instrument, it takes time, dedication and practice.
- The manuals from Akai suck. And there isn't much other documentation on the web. So, have fun.
Here's my first recording made with the EWI. A video with artwork done by my talented wife, Val.
A live recording of Billy Strayhorn's “Chelesa Bridge” from the
2013 Creston Valley Music Teachers concert.
A live recording of “If I Only Had A Brain” from the
2014 Creston Valley Music Teachers concert.
The offical site. Has manuals, software updates, etc.
This is a Linux (and Windows and Mac ... it's written Java) program to load and modify patches in your EWI. It's similar to the one supplied by Akai on the CD. But, this one does work in Linux and it's free.
Some discussion of different fingering modes available on the EWI.
Jazz orientated tips and techniques.
- Patchman Music: These folk seem to be the greatest and best
source for all things EWI. You can also purchase a
whole lot of stuff from these folks for your new hobby—Get your
wallet ready. But, the files and info are free and very worthwhile.
A FAQ on wind controllers with a section on the EWI (there is a lot of good information here. You might want to re-read a few times).
- There are a number of video tutorials on youtube Do a search.
- Sax on the
This is primarily a discussion forum for the saxophone, but do a search for 4000s or EWI and you'll get a number of interesting threads.
Lots of stuff and links for users of an EWI and Logic software.
- There are 2 Yahoo groups for windcontrollers and EWI.
This group is well worthwhile joining (it's free, etc) just for the file section. Good stuff there. Knowledgeable folk in the discussion group.
This group discusses the EWI and the Yamaha WX controllers. Mostly WX stuff, but some gems for the EWI as well.
Okay ... take it apart! This is for the usb model, but it'll get you started if you have some small screwdrivers and “that attitude”.
- Some folks have had a problem with the mouthpiece screw rusting (so, far it's not a problem here). Patchman does sell them, but only in the USA. Silver Pennies has gold plated ones for a very reasonable price.
- Some files here on my site which may be useful:
- factory-set.pdf A list of the default voices (factory set) for the EWI.
Got more links? Let me know!
Big tip of the hat to Steven Winikoff for links and suggestions. Very much appreciated!
If this article was useful or if you have a comment feel free to email me.
If you wish to share this document with others please link to it.
Please supprt the author by clicking on one of the ads at the top of page. Every penny helps a starving musician.
|This page "ewi.html" was last modified on Tue Apr 10 09:55:12 2018|